Thursday, May 31, 2007

I wanted to ask for your prayers.......

My dear friends, I so hesitated about talking about this on my blog, but I thought it would help to have more people praying, so I decided to share this with you. Our younger son, Matthew (26) has been having very severe migraine headaches and also seizures as well for the past two weeks. He has had headaches for years but never this bad and never this conintuous. The seizures are what really worried us the most. At first, Matthew just said he was having shaking spells; he didn't really call them seizures. We didn't know right away that when the shaking happened, his body would tighten up, his hands would tighten up, his breathing would get faster and his heart would pound faster. We thought it was just the shaking. The other reactions worried us even more. He went to the emergency room and they did a cat scan and some other tests, but said they thought he was just overtired, needed more protein, less stress, etc. They gave him some headache medicine but it made him very sick, so that didn't work. Then he went to a chiropractor, which helped relieve some pain temporarily, but didn't stop any of the migraines or seizures. So he was finally able to get an appointment with a neurologist yesterday. Matthew told the doctor about everything and the neurologist was especially concerned about the seizures......(he didn't call them shaking spells......he actually said they were seizures, which made us even more frightened). So, Matthew is going to have a "sleep deprivation test" tomorrow morning (after not sleeping from 2 a.m. until 8 a.m.) They will attach electrodes to his head and try to induce a seizure.......to see if there are any tumors, etc. Matthew is nervous about that test and so are we, but I know they will be monitoring him the entire time. It helps to know that, but it still worries me. Monday, he will have a MRI done as well. My husband Mike and I wanted to be there with Matthew (he lives in Utah), but he said we don't need to. (Matthew probably feels that we would make him more nervous if we were there, which is probably true, but I still wish we could be there with him). We are so scared, so worried. We just keep praying that he will be all right and get through this without any major problems. We just want him to start feeling better again. I don't usually ask people for help, but I thought that if any of you could pray for him, it would help, I am sure. I believe in prayer. It is a powerful, positive influence that has such great healing and comfort. I am sure Matthew is very frightened by all this and just wants to feel better, too. I would be so grateful for your prayers for our son and for your positive thoughts that he will be all right. Also, I wanted to ask if anyone has ever been through a "sleep deprivation test"? What was it like, how did you feel......? Have any of you had any of the symptoms that Matthew has been having?? Thank you dear friends.........I am so grateful to you. Debbie
This is a picture of our son Matthew filming a fairy furniture class we gave at a children's birthday party a few years ago. He made a wonderful documentary about Mike and I and our art and used some of the footage of this class. Our older son Michael did the music for the dvd. It's a wonderful film. That's me walking right next to him. It was so much fun working on the movie with him.
My prayers are sent out for all of you, too, that your lives are blessed with good health and that you are happy, too.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Debbie- I don't know you, we've never met but I will keep you and your precious son in my prayers. Be strong. Take care.Donna

Debbie Schramer said...

Thank you so much Donna for you wonderful kindness and your prayers. I am so grateful and I know that your concern and care will lift our son's heart and mind so much!! God Bless You!

Elisa said...

Debbie, your son will be in my prayers. Lots of love and strenght for your family,blessings.

Anonymous said...

If you can't get a medical diagnosis for your son, you might be interested in the information on this web site about food intolerance. It lists migrains and seisures as posible symptoms of food intolence. Best wishes and I hope it can help you. www.fedup.com.au

Jamie said...

I have been a great fan of your work for a long time and I am very saddened to hear about this stressful time for your family and Matthew. Please know you all will be in my prayers. Love, Jamie

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.

Debbie Schramer said...

Thank you so much for all your prayers and thoughts. It means so much to me that people are out there who are thinking of our son and praying for him! God Bless You!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Debbie, brain things always scare me, as my husband has a history of events too. I am really praying hard for you and Matthew, and glad that he is finally with a neurologist...! Keep your faith and may you find many many blessings in the days to come!!!

tlchang said...

Debbie - of course I will include Matthew and your family in my thoughts and prayers. It can be the hardest when we don't *know* what the problem is (my sister has had a similar experience, but without the headaches.) I'm hoping that you all can get answers, and then hopefully will be able to address it effectively!

Hugs,

Tara